There are many reasons that dog treadmills can be a good option for your dog and for you. This may be due to your own poor mobility, weight loss, your neighbourhood, weather, rehabilitation, mental well being, or maybe your dog is just full of energy and in need of something that will occupy them. This article will outline some of the main reasons to own a treadmill and some of the things to consider when buying one.
Amhuui Dog Treadmill
- - Our dog treadmills are equipped with a safety switch that locks the treadmill. Once your pet is in danger, you can stop the treadmill immediately by pressing the button
- - Lack of exercise can cause your dog to have poor endurance, unresponsiveness and obesity. Our pet treadmills help pets train, exercise, lose weight and a healthy body
- - Easy to install and wear, your pets enjoy sports, increase endurance and stay healthy from now on
- - The treadmill is equipped with a display that shows speed, time, distance and calories. It has a variety of modes that can be set freely, a variety of speed adjustable and timing functions. You can adjust the mode to suit your pet
- - Our pet treadmills are made from oxford cloth, ABS and iron pipes. They are structurally strong and have a strong carrying capacity. The treadmill is equipped with a railing for the pet leash
Why use a Dog Treadmill?
Exercise and mental stability
One of the most important reasons for buying a treadmill is to encourage mental well being in your four-legged friend. Exercise has been proven to lead to better behaviour in dogs, including less anxiousness and less aggression. Sometimes dogs are too anxious outside because they are nervous around other dogs, or perhaps you live in a city and they don’t like the noise. There are a range of other reasons why your dog can’t reach the level of exercise that they need outside, and this is when a treadmill becomes the perfect solution. However, please make sure that you do still walk your dog outside because it is good to let them interact with a less familiar environment.
When living in a country that is too hot or too cold, it can often be difficult to find the time to exercise your dog. So using a treadmill can help in these circumstances and give your dog a full and proper workout.
Your own health reasons
If you aren’t in full health and incapable of taking your dog out for a walk, or even for a long walk, then a treadmill will be the perfect addition to your home. It will keep your dog stimulated and will prevent an active dog from any destructive behaviour that often occurs when a dog is under stimulated.
Your dog is overweight
If your dog is overweight and in need of some extra exercise, a treadmill is perfect. Dogs that are overweight have been proven to benefit from slow and steady exercise, so setting a treadmill to a low setting and encouraging your dog to walk on it is a great way of helping your dog to lose weight, while helping their mental and physical health. Overweight dogs often struggle with their stamina, so several short treadmill sessions throughout the day is the solution to your dog’s obesity.
If your dog is extremely energetic, but you don’t have that same energy, then a treadmill is a great way to stimulate your dog. This can prevent any destructive behaviour from occurring.
Especially living in a city can be difficult to find somewhere that you can exercise your dog safely without stressing them out. If this is the case, then a treadmill can provide an easy and efficient work out to your furry friend without stressing them out or risking their safety.
Some dogs need to take it easy after big operations and a treadmill can help in their rehabilitation process. Slow treadmill workouts for your dog during rehabilitation can lead to a quicker recovery.
What kind of treadmill is best?
If you have the option to buy a treadmill then definitely go for it, but only if you are going to use it. You also need to make sure that the treadmill you choose is OK for your dog’s size. Big or small. If you have a small dog then make sure that the treadmill doesn’t have any gaps at the side that are big enough for your dog to get hurt, or to get their hair or claws trapped in them. You should also make sure to clean the hair off the treadmill so that it doesn’t get caught in the motor. You can use human treadmills as long as they are the right size for your dog and don’t contain any gaps where their claws can get caught. You should also make sure that the one you buy is relatively quiet.
How to train your dog to use a treadmill
Most dogs are likely to be scared of the way that a treadmill moves and sounds at first. You can eradicate this fear by placing treats on a switched off treadmill and encouraging your dog to take them, then praising them when they do. Don’t push your dog and take it easy, you want it to be a positive experience for them, so don’t use leashes or harnesses to get them to step on the treadmill. If you do this, the dog will then associate the treadmill with not being in control and you want them to know that they can get off at any time they want. Your dog will also struggle with balance at first and to train them to balance, you should make sure that the treadmill is at a low speed.
Things to remember
- You should never leave your dog unattended when they are on the treadmill, anything can happen. They may fall, or they may get their nail caught.
- You shouldn’t use a treadmill instead of a walk as your dog needs to interact with the outside environment in order to be mentally stimulated.
- Do not force your dog to go on the treadmill, take it at your dog’s pace and never have them on it for too long.
- Your dog should not be wearing a leash or harness while they are on the treadmill as this can be dangerous if they get caught in the mechanism.
- Be wary of your dog’s age, do not over exercise a dog under the age of two as their muscles/bones are still developing and over exercising them can cause development issues. Do not let them on the treadmill for any more than 30 minutes a time.
- Do not have them running on the treadmill, they are better to walk or trot/jog as this is more effective and safe.
The dogPACER treadmill is specifically designed for dogs, meaning that it will be the safest and most efficient option for your pet. It also features barriers at the sides to prevent your dog from hurting themselves and to encourage them to keep to the moving part of the treadmill by walking straight. This treadmill is perfect for smaller dogs, but there are larger dog treadmills available from the same brand.
Zakjj Dog Treadmill
This Zakjj Dog Treadmill is made of 600D oxford cloth, ABS and iron pipe. It’s a pet treadmill with a solid structure and strong load-bearing capacity, so it’s suitable for larger dogs too. It’s display functions will tell you the speed, time, distance and calories burnt by your dog!