If you are looking into investing in a dog microchip scanner, this article will provide some of the best ones available on the market as well as giving some important information about microchipping.
Microchipping is one of the most important ways to ensure the safety of your dog in the dreaded event that they are lost or stolen. Thousands of pets go missing every year and there are many who are never returned to their owners due to their lack of microchip.
In the UK however, it is a legal requirement for your dog to be microchipped. Let’s take a look at the benefits of this:
What are microchips?
Microchips are small devices that are implanted into your dog’s skin, usually at the scruff of their neck , by your vet. It is a very easy and simple procedure that works very much like a vaccination, with the device being inserted into the back of the dog’s neck without any anaesthetic as it causes little to no discomfort.
The microchip holds all of your information so that in the dreaded event that your dog does go missing or gets stolen, it can be traced.
To read a microchip you will need a handheld device that can scan them and display the owner’s information. Most vets and animal shelters etc. Will have a scanning device at hand so that they can find out the origins of a found dog.
Benefits of microchipping
If your dog goes missing or is stolen
Firstly, the obvious, having your dog microchipped will make sure that if they go missing or are stolen, they can be scanned when they are found and will be reunited with you.
A microchip can’t be lost
Many people use ID tags on their pets’ collar, and while this can’t hurt, it is more effective to have a microchip implanted in your pet. This is because they can’t fall off or go missing, also some pets don’t wear a dog tag or even a collar so microchips are a great way to help the people who find your dog to get them safely back to you.
A microchip offers proof of ownership if your dog is stolen or goes missing. While a collar can be removed, a microchip cannot.
Increases the chance of your pet being returned
If your pet is stolen or goes missing, a microchip has been proven to increase the likelihood of a pet being returned home. Some even say that the chances are increased by as much as 50%.
In some cases, chips can be programmed for other things such as door flaps. This is handy to stop other animals getting into your house and it stops you from having to let them out all the time and letting the cold in.
Buying a Dog Microchip Scanner
Did you know that you can buy your own dog microchip scanner? It is a good idea to own a microchip scanner if you rescue dogs, travel with dogs, or work in a vets. Here are some of the best scanners available on Amazon:
Yanzeo AR180 Pet Microchip Scanner
- Microchip register website: www.isenvo.com
- The reader CAN NOT read Avid chips. The 9-digit ID cannot be recognized. Only the 15-digit ID international standard protocol can be recognized.
- In order to ensure what you buy is what you need, Please confirm the frequency efficiency and agreement of your electronic tag. Technical Support Telephone: +86 13875011578
- Animal RFID Tag Reader EMID,FDX-B FDX-B(ISO11784/85). The reader CAN NOT read Avid chips.
- Work with these pet chip: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XKYF5XV
The Yanzeo AR180 microchip scanner is a handheld reader that has fast recognition. There is a scan button, a usb port for charging, a signal transmission, and an OLED screen where the tag ID will be displayed. This device can read only 15 digit chips and cannot read Avid chips.
Microchip Reader RFID 134.2Khz
- ★ This ID reader is a microchip reader that adopts wireless identification technology and supports reading FDX-B (ISO11784 / 11785) and EMID microchips. It uses high brightness OLED display screen, which can be seen clearly under strong light.
- ★ Save up to 128 tag information and you can upload these information to computer via USB cable.OLED display screen, readable in the sunlight.
- ★ Alarm when the built-in battery is under low power.Easy operation, rechargeable by USB interface.
- ★ Support reading FDX-B (ISO11784 / 11785) and EMID microchips.Widely used for animal management, resource management, railway detection and so on.
- ★ We solemnly promise you that if you find problems with the product itself, you can contact us in time. we will definitely give you a reply in the first place and return it for you. please feel free to use it.
With a similar style to the Yanzeo device, this microchip scanner is made by Sonew and also features a OLED display screen that will display the chip number. There is also a USB port for recharging and a button to hold for scanning. You can also store up to 128 tag numbers that can be uploaded to a computer via the usb port.
Tangxi microchip scanner
- 【Support multiple protocols】- It can read all 134.2KHz FDX-B tags. It supports for ISO 11784/11785, FDX-B and ID64 RFID.
- 【USB Charger】- Easy operation, rechargeable by USB interface.Alarm when the built-in battery is under low power.
- 【Wide Application】Widely used for animal management, resource management, railway detection and so on.
- 【Display】- Backlight screen makes it convenient for you to read.History data can be read in the internal reading mode.
- 【Aftersale Service】- Our products are quality guaranteed and 100% brand new. If you have any question or suggestion about our product, please contact us in time,we will give you a satisfy reply within 24 hours.Thank you for choosing us.
This Tangxi microchip scanner is also handheld. It features a button on the side for scanning, a usb port for recharging and when the battery is low it will alert you. The device has a backlit screen where the ID number will be displayed after scanning and your history of scans can be read in the internal reading mode.
Halo Microchip Scan
- Stores lost pets chip numbers
- Alerts the user that a pet is missing
- Rechargeable by plugging into a pc
- Reads most microchips in pets, dogs, cats
This Halo microchip scanning device is available in blue, pink, or purple. The scanner has a usb port for charging and a CD for installing all of the relevant scanner drivers and software. The device alerts the user that a pet is missing and it stores lost pets’ chip numbers. The chip numbers are displayed on a screen at the front of the device.