A Ratonero Bodeguero is essentially a Spanish Jack Russel or wine cellar rat-hunting dog. The Perro Bodeguero Ratonero is a medium sized dog with a very similar appearance to the Jack Russell Terrier.
Therefore it has quite an athletic build with a triangular-shaped head. Their hair is short and thick and they tend to be white with tricolour markings (brown, white, black, and sometimes tan). They have quite a long snout to help with hunting and their ears are high sitting and bend at the top. Their tails tend to be docked to a quarter of the length, but there are also some that are born with a bobtail.
They are quite energetic and bold dogs, who are also said to be good with children due to their sweet temperament. They can also be quite sociable dogs and so get along well with other dogs and most people. Due to their instincts as a hunter however, they do not get on well with smaller animals such as rabbits etc.
These dogs are easily maintained and only require a brush to remove dead hair occasionally. As well as cleaning their ears and eyes sometimes to avoid infections.
Initial Health Checks and Defleaing
The Ratonero Bodeguero is a healthy dog, with a life expectancy of 15-18 years. They don’t have any reported health risks that are specifically popular amongst the breed, but they are occasionally available for adoption due to the high number of stray Ratonero Bodegueros living in Spain. This means that if you adopt a Ratonero Bodeguero from one of these places, then you should always be sure to check for fleas and make sure to get the relevant injections and treatments. However, it is important to rescue them as they are frequently abandoned.
Flea treatments should be done every 4-6 weeks, particularly in the summer months. We use Frontline Spot On, which is applied to the back of the neck.
- KILLS FLEAS - Fleas jumping onto your treated dog are killed within 24 hours, preventing infestations from building up
- KILLS TICKS - Ticks latching onto your treated dog are killed within 48 hours, helping to reduce the risk of disease transmission
- TRIED AND TRUSTED - FRONTLINE's original vet-strength formula has an exemplary safety profile and can be used on puppies weighing more than 2 kg, from 8 weeks of age
- EASY APPLICATION - Simply empty one pipette onto your dog's skin at the back of the neck and it will quickly spread over their coat - it's as easy as that
- TREAT MONTHLY - It’s important to treat your pets year-round to prevent flea and tick infestations. One 6-pack provides your dog with 6 months of protection
Grooming your Perro Bodeguero Ratonero
These dogs are easily maintained and only require a brush to remove dead hair occasionally. As well as cleaning their ears and eyes sometimes to avoid infections. They only need to be washed a few times a year – when doing so you should make sure to cut or comb out any sections of matted hair. You should then wash the dog’s fur with dog shampoo, making sure to wash their body and legs first, always wash your dog’s head last unless you want to be drenched in water. Of course as with all dogs, they should have regular check ups with the vet to check their health.
- Professional grooming quality. unique non-slip handle
- Firm grade curved slickers with long and short alternative pins to aid with grooming
- Ideal for dematting and removal of dead coats
- Suitable for poodle and bichon coats, or thick coats
- Medium size. can be used on all breed sizes. most popular size.
In terms of food, the adult Ratonero Bodeguero has one bowl of food a day, or two smaller bowls of food. Consider whether dry or wet dog food is best by discussing this with your vet. Some good dog food brands incloude Pedigree chum, Lily’s Kitchen and Butchers. You can also supplement this with Dentasticks and natural chews for dogs such as pigs ears.
- A daily dog dental stick that will reduce tartar build up, cleans teeth and freshens your dog's breath
- Dog dental chew (1 pack of 7 chews) designed specifically for large dogs
- Made with natural ingredients: 2.2 Percent algae, 0.3 Percent fennel and 0.1 Percent coconut oil
- Dog dental care products are suitable for puppies and adult dogs (6 months +)
- No added sugar and free from artificial colours and flavours
They require lots of exercise, at least 15-30 minutes of exercise a day. This helps to stimulate them mentally and physically, reducing the potential for boredom. Like most dogs, Ratonero Bodeguero can perform destructive behaviour when they feel under-stimulated and bored. Therefore, it is important to make sure that they get daily exercise to keep them happy and healthy. Their instincts make them keen diggers, chasers, and retrievers, so finding games or playing fetch are all great ways to keep your Ratonero Bodeguero stimulated and happy.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Spanish Jack Russell